
September 12, 2007 was the most exciting and scariest day of my life! It was 8 days before my due date, but I knew I was going to have Evan that day as soon as I woke up. Something was "different". I drove to school and felt my first contractions. They were mild but they were there. I immediately started checking the amount of time in between each one. I hated to be a psycho about it and I had warned my doctor the week before that I would be the patient that got to the hospital too late because I didn't want to be the freaky mom to be that showed up at the first sign of labor and be sent home. So....I kept track during my 50 minute drive and by the time I got to school they were a bit more significant. I kept tracking them for 3 more hours!!! They got stronger and my boss told me to go home because he didn't want me going into labor under his watch! So, they found a substitute for me and all my friends at school came to wish me luck. Of course I started crying and the panic started up! I cried on my way home, called the doctor twice and my call was sent to voicemail. AAARRRGGGHHH. I figured we would be going to the hospital that day so I stopped to get gas in the car, while having contractions! Once I made it home I could barely stand the contractions and all I wanted to do was lay down. When the doctor finally called me back she told us to come her office right away. When I checked into the office they let me in right in front of everyone and Dr. Zart was convinced I was having false labor pains. Let me tell you.....there is nothing FALSE about labor pains. OUCH!! I immediately started to cry so she sent me to the hospital to be hooked up to a monitor. I'm sure she was just doing it to get me out of her office. So, at the hospital they put me on the monitor and 2 minutes later the nurse said "You're not going anywhere!" Thank god I cried at the office, she would have sent me home!
By this time the contractions were UNBEARABLE and I could not speak. Poor Nick kept trying to talk to me and I had NOTHING to say to him except "Stop talking to me". When asked if I wanted the epidural I said yes and prayed I would get it soon! The first doctor broke my water at about 3:20 and a river ran out of me for about 20 minutes! As all you moms know, there are no words to explain what contractions feel like. For all you moms that skipped the epidural.......GOD BLESS YOU! I don't think I could have done it without that. After the epidural I didn't know when I was having a contraction unless I watched the monitor. My friend Janet showed up to give me encouragement and the next thing we all knew, I was fully dilated and the doctor told me to PUSH. Poor Janet got trapped in the corner of the room and before we knew what was happening, she was holding my leg back! I began pushing at 9pm and Evan was out by 9:23. There are so many vivid details of Evan's birth, but I will save those for private conversations!
The next few hours are a blur. The two days we spent in the hospital were rough, but not nearly as rough as the first few days at home.
To be continued..................

1 comment:
I told you this would become addictive!! I love that story, and so glad you got great drugs to help! You are a great mom and I love the belly shot! Save that for future reference that the only time you will ever be that big is when you are about to give birth! I think it is amazing how our bodies do that!
Post a Comment